Is it Wednesday already? Phew! These weeks are just flying by. I am happy to report that this week brought me some sunshine (cue the fireworks and hallelujahs!). So now my cheeks are sun-kissed, and I am ready for some cool and refreshing snacks.
This week I was actually craving my homemade salsa. Unfortunately tomato season isn’t in full enough swing for me to let an entire recipe lay on its shoulder. So, I looked in the cabinets to see what I could see, and that is when it came to me…black bean salsa!
This came out absolutely perfectly…and that is coming from some one who is usually grossed out by bean salsa! The texture was exactly that of a tomato based salsa, and it had a great bite and zip. Really, what’s a salsa without bite and zip?!
Serve your salsa with your favorite Pretzel Crisp or baked tortilla chip and have no regrets!
Black Bean Salsa Recipe
- 1 can black beans (drained but not rinsed)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and roughly chopped – keep a few seeds for more heat)
- 1 small yellow tomato (diced)
- 1/2 small vidalia onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 handfuls of fresh cilantro (washed)
- 1 lime
- Place beans in a bowl and moosh with a mallet or masher. Leave a few beans whole.
- Squeeze lime juice over the beans
- Place cilantro, garlic and onion in a food processor or blender and pulse until diced but not liquified
- Mix diced veggies into beans
- Add diced tomatoes and mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, stir and serve!