This week I was having a hard time deciding what to write about. It is that point in the semester when I start to feel overwhelmed. I don’t feel like cooking (gasp!), I don’t feel like writing (frown), and I just want to be lazy and lay on the couch. BUT, each morning I pull myself up and head to the gym, I try to get a blog post done, and I whip up a dinner that may not be revolutionary, but it is still homecooked (burgers w/ mash last night).
So when it came time to do the writing for today, I froze. If my dinners aren’t worth writing about, what other content would interest my readers? Well, lets start with what is occupying my “free” time right now. The 1st Birthday Brunch for the Boston Brunchers!
Let me first explain what Boston Brunchers is. When I first started working at BU, I was a little lost without the creative outlet I had while working in marketing. I was still addicted to social media, but without having a project, found myself grasping at ways to stay involved. Then I attended a bloggers’ dinner at Villa Francesca. It was my first REAL bloggers’ event, and it was the birth place of the Boston Brunchers.
I sat at a great meal amongst other bloggers, and naturally we talked about food. I think I started ranting about my love of all things High Tea, which almost always turns into a conversation about brunch. Which turned into a conversation about why bloggers don’t have blogger events at brunch. Which turned into me offering to arrange a bloggers’ brunch. Little did I know what this little conversation would become a year later…
Today, over 70 bloggers can boast that they have attended a Boston Brunchers event, 17 amazing restaurants have hosted us, and over 132 blog posts have been written. All focused on Brunch. All in and around Boston.
Boston Brunchers has become more than just a meal for me. It has become “my baby” so to speak. As a person who has always ran my own piece of business, it is something that I crave everyday. For right now, Boston Brunchers is my little piece of business…minus the paycheck
So what have I learned from Boston Brunchers in the past year?
- I have learned that pretty much EVERYBODY loves brunch!
- I have learned how to work with PR Companies as a client, a service provider and as a partner.
- I have learned what it means to be a community manager, and how to do it effectively.
- I have learned that if people are interested in what you are doing, they will come to you…We have over 1100 followers on Twitter!
- I have learned the power of the Digital Influencer! We are DEFINITELY a force to be reconned with!
- I have learned how to work with smaller businesses and fulfill their needs in ways that differ from businesses with larger budgets.
- I have learned how to connect with all different types of writers, from food bloggers, to mommy bloggers, to lifestyle bloggers, to traditional media writers
- I have learned that you need to make it clear how important it is for people who commit to an event to be there
- I have learned that hardly ever will everyone show up….so always have a plan B!
- I have learned that there are some amazing digital influencers in Boston, and they are really delightful people!
- I have learned that there are some absolutely astonishing, palate pleasure inducing, un-repeatable brunches in the Boston area.
- I have learned something I always knew…event planning and marketing are truly my first “career” love! Social media has given me the opportunity to put those two together, and for that I am thankful!
So, you can only fathom how much joy it has given me to produce the Boston Brunchers’ 1st Birthday Brunch. I have gotten to interact with all of the amazing restaurants and PR companies that have been so great to us over the last year, as well as work with some new brands and companies for the first time.
There have been some speed bumps…having to limit tickets (who would have thought 40 wasn’t enough!), losing our first venue, etc…But with the downs came the ups: An amazing new venue - Island Creek Oyster Bar, amazing sponsors (please visit their webpages and support them), and lots of fun interaction with the amazing blogging, tweeting and media communities in Boston. I cannot wait until October 16th when all the attendees can experience everything that has gone into this event!
In the meantime, I have some important details to figure out before the event. Details like: what am I going to wear, when can I get my hair done, what am I going to order…..
Is anyone reading this blog post in the Boston area on October 16th? Well, its your lucky day, I am giving away 1 ticket to the Boston Brunchers 1st Birthday Brunch! Here is how to enter:
- Mandatoy Entry: Comment on this post what you love the most about brunch.
- Bonus Entry: Follow @renh77 on Twitter and Tweet “Please @renh77, please send me to @BostonBrunchers #bdaybrunch @ICOBar http://wp.me/pVsto-xY“. Come back here and leave me a comment saying you did so.
- Bonus Entry: Like Eat.Live.Blog on Facebook. Write me a little note on my Facebook wall. Come back here and leave me a comment saying you did so.
- You must be able to get to the brunch in Boston on October 16, 2011 @ 10:30am on your own accord
- You must be at least 21 years of age to win
- Prize is non-transferrable and has no cash value
- Winner will receive one ticket to attend the Boston Brunchers Bday Brunch where they will receive a complimentary brunch. Winner is responsible for tip and any beverages not included in the brunch which they may order.
- Winner will be chosen using Random.org on Monday, October 10th.
- All entries must be received by Sunday, October 9th at 11:59pm.
Want to attend a Boston Brunchers event? Make sure to subscribe to www.bostonbrunchers.com so you can receive event announcements as soon as they are released. You can also like us on Facebook and/or Follow us on Twitter!