Over the past few weeks I been excited to be a part of the Healthy Holiday #BostonPotluck party with fellow bloggers Emily from Simply Gourmet in Southie, Jaime from La Vie Jaime, Zoe from One Beet Wellness, and Jessica from Champagne Thursday. Every week, one of these fantastic bloggers has been posting a healthier holiday recipe. And this week, it is my turn!
But before I get to my recipe, make sure to follow our potluck on social media using #BostonPotluck, and make sure to read all the way through to enter an awesome giveaway from Harvard Common Press!
OK – Now for the good stuff! Jalapeno Poppers are one of my very favorite appetizer indulgences. I love all types, cream cheese stuffed, cheddar stuffed, spicy, mild, anything you can do with a popper, I am a fan. However, my readers likely all know now that I am also dairy free for the last year. This creates a problem for my penchant for poppers! And don’t get me started on “dairy free cheese”. No thank you. I’ll find a work around.
I decided to work with Tofutti “Better than Cream Cheese”, which is the closest thing I have found to regular cream cheese….but it is still not the real thing. BUT, I decided that mixed with some avocado and salt and pepper, we would get damn close, and I was right!
I did make a couple of these without bacon for a vegetarian friend, and she LOVED them! Personally, I think everything is better with bacon, so why the hell not wrap them in some before baking.
I have to tell you, these were every bit as good as the dairy-filled version I used to make. With the bacon, they only have 66 calories per popper, and are loaded with good-for-you-ness! Without the bacon, they are even better for you, and way in at a super respectable 42 calories, making them a perfect party popper!
And now for a giveaway! Enter via rafflecopter to win your choice of cookbooks from Harvard Common Press! 5 lucky winners will be selected on January 11, 2016.
Make sure to check out the other #BostonPotluck recipes:
- Ground Turkey & Zucchini Lasagna from Simply Gourmet in Southie
- Curried Millet with Butternut Squash from One Beet Wellness
- Fresh & Festive Cocktails from La Vie Jaime
- And next week Champagne Thursday will share her Healthier Holiday recipe!
- 12 large jalapenos (halved long-wise and seeds removed)
- 1 large avocado (seed and skin removed)
- ½ cup Tofutti "Better than Cream Cheese"
- Salt & Pepper
- 12 slices of bacon (cut in half)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a bowl, mash together avocado and "cream cheese" until smooth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Stuff each jalapeno half with avocado mixture
- Wrap each stuffed jalapeno half with bacon, making sure the loose ends are on top of the pepper
- Place poppers on a greased cookie sheet, making sure they don't touch
- Bake for 25 minutes, until bacon begins to brown
- Remove poppers from sheet immediately when you remove them from the oven
- No need to serve with a dip, they are delicious as is!