Updated: April 4, 2016
I was looking up this recipe the other day to prep, and was surprised at how badly written it was! Originally written on July 21, 2010, this would have been one of my very first posts, so I’ll give myself some slack.
I made the recipe, and it totally stood up. So at the very least, the recipe was solid. I’ve added some pictures from the round I made this time, and cleaned up a little of the copy. Other than that, it is as it was that summer day six years ago.
The added bonus this time is that this recipe is actually Whole 30 compliant! I had mine over some cauliflower rice stir-fried with carrots and onions. It was the perfect, healthy comfort food!
I am originally from the Tampa area, where we have a plethora of Cuban food available at any hour of the day. It wouldn’t be unheard of for my family to stop at La Terecita at 8:30am for a steak sandwich for pops and ropa vieja for me. Cuban is the one cuisine that the Boston area is seriously lacking.
When I arrived home from the market this week, I realized I had purchased too much meat, and I had an extra roast. I Googled some recipes for inspiration for my favorite childhood dish, not at all expecting to be able to make it. To my surprise, not only did I have all of the ingredients on hand, but it is super easy to make!
I served the Ropa Vieja over butter & herb rice, with maduros that do not deserve to even be mentioned (it happens to all of us). Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds beef flank steak or roast (NOT stew meat)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic or more to taste- chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Mix all ingredients together in the crockpot.
- Stir until well blended.
- Cook on High for 4 hours, or on Low for up to 8 hours.
- Remove the beef to a cutting board and shred the beef. Return the beef to the crock pot and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice (cauliflower rice or yellow rice).