Another month has gone by, which means its time for another Secret Recipe Club reveal! This month I had the privilege of checking out Jenn’s blog “A Cook’s Quest“. Jenn started her blog when she realized she was ignoring one of her true loves, cooking…I can completely relate! Jenn has quite a bit of delicious baked goods on her blog, like Strawberry Cream Puff Cake, Stuffed Divine Bread Sticks, and Cinnamon Swirl Bread. But I knew Jenn and I were kindred spirits when I found a section of slow-cooker recipes at the bottom of her recipe index.
Well, I have been looking for a recipe for orange chicken for quite some time, and it just so happened that I had all of the ingredients for an adjusted version of Jenn’s Slow Cooker Orange Chicken. The only thing I didn’t have…time to slow cook! So I made a few more adjustments and had a delicious orange chicken dinner in under 30 minutes!
Orange Chicken Recipe – Adapted from A Cook’s Quest
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 tsp orange zest (grated peel of 1 medium orange)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 6 oz orange juice (I juiced 3 medium oranges)
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- crushed red pepper to taste
- Place raw chicken in a bowl
- Sprinkle chicken with orange zest, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp garlic. Rub them into the chicken
- In a separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients and set aside
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a medium sauce-pan over medium-high heat
- When oil sizzles, add chicken to the pan
- Cook until chicken is well browned on all sides (about 7 minutes)
- Slowly add the sauce mix, adding a little at first to loosen the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. When that is done, add the remainder of the sauce.
- Bring sauce to a boil and reduce heat to a low simmer, cover and let cook for 20 minutes
- Optional: At the end of 20 minutes, if the sauce needs to reduce more, take the lid off, bring to a boil and allow to boil until sauce is desired thickness.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over your favorite rice or grain.