Warning: The recipe you are about to view is highly addictive. I have already made it twice this week because it is so easy and delicious. True story.
(Contest has ended) Make sure to read through the end for a Healthy Snack Wednesday Giveaway from Pepperidge Farm!
A friend posted on her Facebook page the other day “who has ideas on a healthy sweet snack for me?” Well, that got me thinking. When you want something sweet, unfortunately fruit, or yogurt and other healthy alternatives just won’t do it for you. So for today’s healthy snack Wednesday post, I am going to share a recipe that WILL do it for you, a delicious, healthier version of bread pudding…with an optional not-so-healthy rum reduction sauce.
I got a package in the mail the other day from the lovely folks of Pepperidge Farm. Inside were 2 packages of Deli Flats, my very favorite way to not feel guilty about sandwiches and burgers, they are low in calories and fat, and are an excellent source of fiber. Instantly I knew what I would be doing with them! But first, we made several different sandwiches with them, and had turkey burgers (topped with mustard, jalapeno, and Frank’s Red Hot…OMG.)
The bread pudding came out perfectly. I actually don’t think I will even go back to making the full fat kind, there is no benefit.
…but the possibilities are endless: chocolate chips, nuts, apples, dried fruit, pears, peanut butter cups…whatever you like!
And thanks to Pepperidge Farm, today I am providing you with a chance to win 2 packs of Deli Flats so you can try this recipe for yourself! Details are at the bottom of this post…Disclosure: Although I did receive 2 packages of Deli Flats from Pepperidge Farm in order to create this recipe, I was not obligated to review the product, and all opinions (as always) are my own. As a matter of fact, when the folks at PF asked me about different products, I requested Deli Flats since they are a product I already know, love and use. That is all.
Healthier Bread Pudding
Adapted from MomsWhoThink
- 2 Pepperidge Farm Deli Flats – Any variety
- 6 strawberries (cleaned and sliced) OPTIONAL
- 1/2 banana (sliced) OPTIONAL
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- 1/8 cup packed brown sugar
- Sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray 2 mini loaf pans lightly with cooking spray
- Tear 1 Deli Flat into bite-sized pieces and scatter it into one of the loaf pans
- Repeat with the 2nd Deli Flat and the 2nd pan
- Put half the strawberries and bananas (or add-in of your choice) in each of the pans and toss
- In a separate bowl, beat together egg whites, milk and vanilla
- Add white & brown sugar to the egg mixture and mix well
- Pour 1/2 of the egg mixture over each pan
- Sprinkle each pan with a touch of sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 – 35 minutes, or until firm to the touch and brown on top
- Remove from the oven and serve as is, or with Rum Reduction Sauce
Rum Reduction Sauce
- 1/2 cup of whatever rum you have on hand (…or whiskey, or bourbon…)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Place rum & sugar in a small pot over medium-high heat
- Bring to a boil, stirring very frequently
- Allow to simmer until sauce has reduced by at least 1/2
- Remove from heat and serve
Win 2 packages of Pepperidge Farm Deli Flats!
And finally, contest time! 3 lucky winners will each win 2 packages of Pepperidge Farm Deli Flats! Here is what you need to do to win…
- You must live in the Continental U.S. You must also leave a way for me to get in touch with you if you win.
- REQUIRED ENTRY- Comment on this blog post about what sandwich you would love to make with your Deli Flats!
The remainder of ways to enter are optional, and you may do one, or all of them. You will get an entry for each that you do.
- Bonus Entry- Follow Pepperidge Farm on Facebook or Twitter and leave a comment letting me know you did so.
- Bonus Entry- Become a fan of Eat.Live.Blog on Facebook and leave me a comment letting me know you did so.
- Bonus Entry- Tweet “I LOVE @PepperidgeFarm! Thanks @renh77!” and leave a comment letting me know you did so. The tweet MUST contain @PepperidgeFarm and @renh77
- Bonus Entry- Write on Pepperidge Farm’s Facebook Wall “Eat.Live.Blog sent me for some Deli Flats! ” and leave me a comment letting me know you did so.
- The winner must leave contact information for me to notify them
- The winner will be asked to send me their mailing address
- The prize will be mailed to you directly from Pepperidge Farm’s representative
- Winner will be chosen using Random.org
- Winner will be announced on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 by noon.
- Contest will close to entries on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 at 9pm.