It’s the New Year…just in case no one had told you yet! I don’t necessarily believe in New Year’s resolutions, but I do believe in recommitting to my healthy lifestyle…from which I have been missing in action since about October. This commitment means eating healthier foods, stopping eating when I am full (a novel concept), and actually getting out of bed and to the gym when my alarm goes off at 5:10 am.
My quest to find the healthier me has been helped by the “Biggest Loser” type challenge going on at my work for the next two months…complete with a cash prize! Now, I realize I only have a maximum of 8 lbs to lose, so my chances of winning are pretty slim. But that is okay, because my main goal is to be healthy, and it is somehow easier with a group of co-workers beside you.
Plus, Lara and I are the official “Healthy Snack Bloggers” for the challenge! This means that every Wednesday we will both bring you a healthy snack recipe to try. We decided that we would theme our snacks each week, and this week would be “white beans”. I tweeted about our challenge on Monday, and the amazing Jackie of Pretzel Crisps replied, and arranged to bring Lara and I some delicious, all natural, healthy, Pretzel Crisps! She even included some Tribe Hummus, doing her research and knowing my favorite is the horseradish!
Well, inspired by white beans and Pretzel Crisps, I came up with a refreshing and fresh Bean Bruschetta Salad. It can be eaten on its own, or served on top of a Pretzel Crisp, which also makes a beautiful presentation. This salad is ULTRA healthy, so eat up, enjoy, and get out there and be the best you that you can be!
Note- As with all my recipes, I would love to inspire your creativity to change it up, add a vegetable you love or haven’t tried yet. Change the type of beans listed, go crazy! What’s the worst that could happen…
What is your go-to afternoon snack? What ingredient would you like to see us highlight next week on Healthy Snack Wednesday?
Recipe: Bean Bruschetta Salad
- 16 oz White Beans – drained & rinsed (soaked and par-boiled or canned)
- 16 oz Black Beans – drained & rinsed (soaked and par-boiled or canned)
- 1 small orange pepper – diced
- 1 small green pepper – diced
- 1 stick of celery – diced
- 2 large limes (room temperature)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno – seeded and quartered
- 2 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- salt & pepper
- In a bowl, layer the beans, celery, orange & green peppers
- In a food processor or blender, combine the juice of the 2 limes, olive oil, cilantro, jalapeno and garlic.
- Blend for 15 seconds
- Add vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper – adjusting these ingredients to taste
- Blend for 30 more seconds until well blended
- Pour dressing over the salad mixture and mix well
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour, but is best over night
- Enjoy out of the container, or scoop a teaspoon full on top of a Pretzel Crisp!