I am getting inspired to cook everywhere these days! The inspiration for this recipe was two-fold. The first inspiration is the fact that it is about 115 degrees with the heat index today. And really, who wants to turn a stove on in this weather.
The second inspiration is Chef Robin White’s #ColdSoupWeek. Chef Robin is posting the recipes now for the soups that will be included, and her Watermelon Soup struck a chord for me…so here we are!
The soup is refreshing. While it is based on my favorite summer food, the watermelon, it has a nice earthy undertone thanks to the jalapeno. But don’t skip on the yogurt and feta toppings! These extras really bring all of the flavors of this soup together.
Recipe: Watermelon Mint Soup
Ingredients (for 2 servings, can be doubled):
- 1/4 watermelon (cubed)
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 jalapeno (chopped – if you don’t like spicy, remove the seeds)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger (peeled and diced)
- 10 mint fresh leaves (torn into small pieces)
- Plain yogurt for topping
- Crumbled feta cheese for topping
- You will be blending ingredients in two halves.
- Place one half of all ingredients (except for yogurt & feta) in a blender, food processor, or container for an immersion blender.
- Blend ingredients until smooth and move to a large bowl.
- Blend other half of ingredients until smooth and then add to other half of soup.
- refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Spoon soup into serving bowls.
- Top each bowl with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of feta cheese.