We only keep water and milk in our house. No soda, no juice, none of that crap. If you are thirsty, you drink water…that’s our motto! But then I made it to the Clover Food Truck on MIT’s Food Truck Row. And there I had…Rhubarb Agua Fresca…a moment of silence please….
For some reason I cannot get this beverage out of my mind. The flavor isn’t strong, but it dances with your taste buds. I found myself taking a sip and then rolling it around on my tongue to get the full array of the flavor. And I did not stop thinking about it!
Chef Rolando of Clover was nice enough to tweet me the recipe for my dream drink, and I was in heaven. Their traditional drink is straight rhubarb, water and simple syrup. I took some liberties with it, naturally!
This is the perfect drink to sip pool-side, beach-side, or inside in the AC! Where ever you enjoy this, I promise this drink will make you smile!
Recipe: Strawberry Rhubarb Mint Agua Fresca
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- 1 stalk of rhubarb (washed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 strawberries (washed, greens removed, and chopped)
- 5 fresh mint leaves (washed and torn into small pieces)
- 16 oz filtered water
- Simple Syrup, Agave or Honey (I used 1/3 cup simple syrup)
- You may use an immersion blender, food processor or blender.
- Combine all ingredients except for the sweetener.
- Blend for 30 seconds, stir, and blend for an additional 30 seconds.
- Blend again if needed to get a smooth consistency.
- Place a metal strainer over a bowl and pour the mixture through the strainer.
- Use a metal spoon to press the remaining ingredients in the strainer until you extract all of the liquid.
- Discard ingredients remaining in the strainer.
- Add your sweetener (to taste) to the liquid.
- Refrigerate the liquid until ice-cold! (If you can reserve the urge to guzzle this as soon as it is cold, and are able to let it sit overnight, you will get the best taste. The flavors really meld if they sit a little longer…but I do understand this may not be possible…trust me…)