The first day of spring is just around the corner, and the weather man is predicting a good dumping of snow tomorrow. Awesome. The longer days are helping to tend the winter doldrums, and I might as well take advantage of this ridiculous continuing cold to cook some good old fashioned comfort food that is still good for you.
This is a great way to use up some left-over chicken. And Dispite the long list of ingredients, it is surprisingly easy! The only tip you really need is to make sure you cut all the veggies the same general size. Other than that, jus follow along and you will have this belly warming meal ready in about 30 minutes!
Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
1 lb cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast (I boiled chicken breast. You can use left overs, rotisserie, etc)
- 3 Tbsp butter or butter substitute ( I used Brummel & Brown)
- 1 large russet potato (peeled, chopped into 1/4 inch cubes)
- 2 stocks of celery (chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1/2 small vidalia onion (chopped)
- 3 dashes of worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brocolli flowerettes
- 1 cup Bisquick
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Place a large stock pot on medium-high heat. Add butter to the pot.
- When butter melts, add the potato, celery, carrots, garlic and onion.
- Add worcestershire sauce, pepper, salt and Thyme.
- Continue cooking until carrots begin to become tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 cup of the broth and stir well to get brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add remaining broth and water and stir well.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer
- Add chicken and broccoli to the pot
- Meanwhile, in a seperate bowl, mix together the Bisquick, milk, pepper, garlic and paprika. Stir until combined.
- Using a teaspoon, drop the Bisquick mixture into the soup, one spoon at a time.
- Continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir and simmer for 10 more minutes.